Road of Pomata (Ointment) / of Pussiano : Tivoli (Rm)
The name of this road, coincidentally or on purpose, could derive from Pomata, which means "ointment", gives us an idea of the wealth of olives groves to be found in the outskirts of Tivoli, only a few kilometers from Rome.
Many inhabitants of Rome and holiday makers choose this trait as an ideal destination in search of tranquility among these silent and magnificent centuries-
In early summer, especially the season of olive flowering, you can enjoy the cool breeze on the gentle slope, having a pick of wild asparagus, fresh aromatic herbs and wild flowers sprouting at the foot of these olive trees that rise majestically.
Strolling through the olive gloves which hide "small secret gardens" surrounded by dry stonewalls from which, on shiny and sunny days, a splendid view runs over the entire Roman countryside and the hills of Tiburtini which gives us a feeling of an indescribable delight, regaining intimate and quiet moment under the leafy branches of these olive trees which have continued to guard and caress this land.
Roman Patriarchs were to have opted to build alongside this road numerous residential villas and prestigious resorts for its beautiful landscape and its strategic utility of the supply of water from the aqueducts constructed through a few centuries: Anio Vetus (272. b.C.) Acqua Marcia( 144 b.C.) first, and then Acqua Claudia and Anio Novus (41-
• The most representative olive varieties in the area of Tivoli: Frantoio, Leccino, Rosciola, Rotonda di Tivoli; since 2005 this district is still in the process of proposal for the recognition of the new DOP "Terre Tiburtine";
• Other minor varieties: Pendolino, Itrana, Carboncella;
• Some minor autochthonous varieties: Montanese, Brocanica, Nebbia.
I fear that many of these so precious and generous centuries-
It is, furthermore, disconcerting to see obvious damages of this trait due to the lack of the sensibility of some visitors toward the environment, who ruin this invaluable road with rubbishes and scribbles...
“In the jubilee year 1750 the Senate with the people of tiburtino widened, paved and embellished this road Cassiana, welcomed by citizens and tourists to the amenity of the area in order to make a more comfortable walk thanks to the involvement of the deputy governor of Tivoli, Alessandro Di Spazia from Bevagna.”
A tombstone that bears witness to the work of the Municipality of Tivoli's anniversary in 1750.